A is for Anime

Hi there,

I have been joining anime/manga society at the uni in Taiwan, and I think it is interesting to find out what anime fans usually do in London.

A little warning: this is me sharing my personal experience, and I don't want to overgeneralize that this is what everyone would experience in both UK and Taiwan. If this is what you're interested in, then read ahead :)

Here's three things that I was doing in anime society in London.

1.Before the meeting, we had a facebook vote for what you want to watch.
Uh, I even suggested one and we did watch it together, but I wished that we had watched something that's not so depressing before test season started. But hey, this is an opportunity to watch new things.

2. Every week anime viewing!
This is basically what we did every week: spending an afternoon watching anime series, either 4 episodes of TV series or one animated film.

3. Pub, after all!
It is quite funny to hear this, I know, but hey, we're in London. It's a bit weird for me to go have a drink at first (sorry, mom!), but it surely amazed me how people could talk for hours in pub. So I reached a conclusion that the function of pub in London is like cafe in Taiwan. Anyway, I got to know people and learned a lot from the experience they shared.


Here is the serious stuff I have to tell you: I don't really watch anime with other people that often. There were only once or twice anime viewing in one semester when I was in Taiwan. It's not that people don't watch anime. I suppose we prefer watching them (and having funny reactions) on our own.

So what do you do if you're not watching anime in Taiwan? Good question.

There are activities once or even twice a week, including the quiz night (not in pub but in classroom), painting tutorials, and members sharing their favourite anime (with great power point!), etc. Believe me, it took quite long to explain when freshers came to ask me at the welcoming stall. It's quite difficult to drag otaku out of their home, I would say.

Hope you enjoy reading this. Comment below if you have further questions related to anime or share your experience with us!




留言